The Indianapolis Colts took to the field, last night, as a one point favorite against a Chargers team that had nearly missed the playoffs, starting the season 4-8. The Colts had, yet, another 12 win regular season and had strung together 9 wins in a row.
The Colts are at home today preparing for the next big thing....
The off season.
The Colts defense, effectively let Darren Sproles run all over the top of them. They had no answers in the last 2.5 quarters of football. This should have been a game that the Colts excelled in, since LaDanian Tomlinson was sidelined for most of the game. However, once again, another year and another defense that cannot stop the run.
The offense didn't help matters. Analysts have been saying all year that a one dimensional offense will not win in the playoffs. Guess what; they are right. The Colts offense could not generate much on the ground. When it was needed most, they generated less. The offensive line was partially to blame, but even the novice football fan could see that Joseph Addai was not going to get much yardage dancing around in the backfield.
Some of the things that I see need to happen to get the Colts over this hump are as follows:
1. Draft a run stopper. Put some meat on the defensive line that is going to plug up the middle and force teams from the run.
2. Get a running back that can generate yardage, does more than dance in the backfield, and is less injury prone.
3. As much as I hate to say it, get a quality WR as a replacement for Marvin Harrison, and cut the first ballot Hall Of Famer.
4. The Colts need to do an extensive search for a special teams coach. Our special teams is an achilles heal, every year.
5. I think Coach Dungy is a heck of a guy. However, I don't think the retirement of Coach Dungy would necessarily be a bad thing. We have been consistently good during the regular season. We continually choke up a hairball in the playoffs. Talent has changed, the coaching staff has not. Maybe a change is due.
Congratulations to the San Diego Chargers. You have earned another week on the playoff merry-go-round.
For the Colts......
I guess there is always next year.